It sometimes amazes me when I see an arrogant person. I am a confident person, but by no means perfect, nor do I desire to be. You see, making mistakes is how we learn. I have to admit I do pride myself on trying not to open my mouth if I am ignorant or uninformed on a matter. I do think most of the time, I try to be right if I discuss things. But what continues to amaze me is the number of people who have to boost their own ego by putting all others down. Who never admit mistakes and therefore, are arrogant beyond their means.
I experienced this first from my father, now deceased. He was arrogant, never wrong, yet lonely in the end. He never lost my love, but ceased to have my respect because of his arrogance. He was a hard working blue collar man, not educated past his high school diploma, but demanded that all in the household obey his "laws" regardless of their validity. When it got to the point that his rule became ridiculous, it tore the family apart. His pride and arrogance separated him from the rest of us eventually...
Since him, I see arrogance as a weakness. Usually accompanied by a person who needs to put others down to make themselves feel better about their own being. They may be intelligent, but lack self confidence in some aspect. They are ruthless to some, sometimes demanding, putting themselves above all others. For some it may be they feel superior because they have money and they equate that with power. Others may feel they have superior brainaics over another. The one quality I see in them, is they are unable to laugh at themselves or be realistic in looking at humankind. We all mess up, do silly things. Being able to laugh at oneself and accepting of your good and bad strengths is a truely balanced person. Those unable to do that are truely at a disadvantage. Realizing that there are many ways to be intelligent and being able to laugh at your ignorance in whatever field that may be...is truely intelligent!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment